Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pet Botanics

Pet Botanics.  Dog Log.  Meat Treat.  The Good Stuff.  Call it whatever you will, but trainers and owners love the rolled meat created by Pet Botanics.  Here are some of the numerous reasons why I use this as my main high value treat reward:


  • It has a strong, appealing smell, making it easier to keep a dog's attention.
  • It's soft so the dogs eat it quickly instead of crunching forever.
  • You can cut it or break it into whatever size you need-tidbits for smaller rewards and chunks for jackpots.
  • It's actually nutritionally balanced enough to feed it to your dog for dinner.  I would only recommend this for certain situations because, among other things, what could you possibly use during training sessions that would one up a dog log dinner?
  • Real meat is the main ingredient. For consistency's sake, I prefer the Lamb and Brown Rice variety
  • No added colors and only natural preservatives.  So, you should keep only a week's worth in an airtight container, stored in the fridge and freeze everything else.  I recommend slicing the roll into 1 inch thick discs, then quartering those, and freezing it in ziplock baggies.
  • I can buy it for a good price at my local pet store.
  • It's delicious! (or so the dogs tell me, I just haven't been able to bring myself to try it.  Lots of people say it smells like beef jerky.)
As with any good treat, if you use it too often, give it away for free (dogs don't have to earn it), or give too much for each reward-it will quickly lose its value.  More to come on this aspect later next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment