Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Think Positive

I've decided over the years, through numerous experiences (both good and bad) that dog training is as much mental on the part of the handler as it is anything else.  So, in order for me to be the trainer I feel I should be, I've developed a little mantra that I will say to myself:

I am calm, confident, and in control.  I am quick to correct and quick to forgive.  I will help (dog's name) learn to (desired behavior) by teaching her/him the correct behavior of (blank) through ongoing practice.

Obviously, fill in your own dog's name and the desired activity-the more specific the better.  Also, it's always best to avoid "not" "stop" "don't" and all of those negative words.  If you want your dog to stop jumping, you may say something like: "I will help Freddy to learn to remain on all four paws when visitors come over by teaching him the correct behavior of sitting while being greeted through ongoing practice."  The last part is especially important because it helps me to remember that dogs learn the correct behaviors because we teach them through practice and over time.

I like to use the first two sentences when I'm simply frustrated-it helps me to relax and rededicate myself to what I am doing.  Feel free to create your own mantra-whatever helps you to be good to your dog, and always remember that most ideas start inside our head, come out in our actions, and eventually affect our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment